Compared to Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Delaware is pretty good state. They have social welfare programs that are much easier to qualify for. I just got the good news that I qualified for SRAP which is Delware’s State Rental Assistance Program. The qualifications are much more practical so people like myself, who make just over the federal poverty (destitution) level, can qualify for some assistance. SRAP pays for 72% of the rent leaving me responsible for only 28% which literally makes things so much easier. Social Security Disability should make people exempt from the federal poverty level provision of federal assistance but does not.
Now it’s just a matter of going through getting where I live qualified for SRAP which should not be too difficult because I pay rent to my brother and his wife. They’re happy to do this because it ultimately is a win for them as well. They will be able to get a little bit more money per month for the unit because they were charging me less than the fair market value. Now it’s just a matter of the program requirements and getting my unit to the point where it will pass SRAP inspection and I know my brother is fully on board with this. Plus, I will be there to help him out which will make things a little easier.
I am so grateful for this program and it is really enough to make me want to stay in Delaware for the rest of my life. The quality and affordability of healthcare seems to be better overall with no state sales tax and a lower income tax. Living here is just a whole lot easier and I am still very close to my family and support systems so it is the best of several worlds.