I think my IT skills are a little bit rusty because I had a prolonged outage of my website and email. It all began simply because I was lazy when I set up the server to power my blog in the first place. I just simply dumped everything in one partition and that created a problem. This problem was cascading and it eventually came to the point where I really had to redo everything. It turns out that the backups that I created were rather ineffective and when I went to restore everything in one shot, the restore failed. So I had to do the restore the very slow, manual way because I I never set things up right from the very beginning.
I think my skills have atrophed from disuse and that kind of put me in a very down mood through most of yesterday afternoon and into this morning. I was berating myself over and over for not doing this the correct and most efficient way. Well, now I have learned the lesson of sorts. The operating system of my preference that I use is OpenBSD. OpenBSD has tools called dump and restore which are designed for backing up and work well, provided one use them as recommended. I think tar and gzip would have been the better route to go. The tar command, short for tape archive because it was originally used on backup tapes, creates an archive of files and gzip compresses the archive to save storage space.
So going forward I will use the combination of tar and gzip to make my backups more effective and simpler. I also don’t need to take an entire backup of my server. I just need to backup select things like configuration files, website, email, and database. I have to read the manual page to see how I can use tar with a little more versatility. It an ideal world, I would have one archive containing all of the files that I need and just do a one-shot decompress and restore. I believe this might be possible but I have to do some reading first. This is going to be just a quick blog entry mostly to make certain that the website is fully working after that arduous restore. It loads okay, I just have to see if WordPress will properly display new articles.